Why Aid Franco?

FOR millions of Europeans, Generalissimo Franco is the main symbol of the Fascism they have scarcely finished fighting. To make ourselves party to Franco's rule for any reason whatsoever, is to endanger our greatest asset in Western Europe: the faith of democratic people that the United States is an ally against totalitarianism.

President Truman was aware of this just eight weeks ago, when he opposed aid to Spain and announced it would be "a long, long time" before he granted further recognition. Now, with his appointment of an ambassador, Truman has started down the road to full support. The "realistic" arguments of the Spain-supporters are finally sinking in. For years their rationale has been: that Spain is an essential stronghold against Communism; that France is a strong partner and can be stronger with U.S. help; that the alternative to fascism in Spain is Communism.

They are wrong. To recommend himself, Franco can offer not even the virtue of usefulness. Lacking planes, tanks, any kind of modern equipment or training, his divisions would be helpless against invaders. Without staggering investment in roads, airports, and railroads, they could not even use what equipment we might give them.

Corruption and inefficiency in Spain's unsteady domestic government have led to declining production and rising prices. Since his officials now have a vested interest in maintaining their powers of extortion and black-market speculation, reform from within is unlikely, no matter what promises Franco might make--and as yet, he has offered no concessions at all. Aid funneled through the Franco oligarchy would have little chance even of benefitting the people, let alone of creating an effective ally.

By withholding support and further recognition, and by explaining bluntly our reasons for doing so, we might keep what respect Truman's action has left us. We might also contribute to the downfall of the Generalissimo, which would be to our credit. At best, underwriting fascism in Spain can only weaken our position in Europe, and that the United States can not afford.