House Ruling On Reds Bill Due Monday

If Accepted by House, Bill Will Be Combined With Ober Law, Then Ready for Senate Vote

The Massachusetts House will vote Monday on proposed legislation which would require the expulsion by "law enforcement agencies of any college or university faculty member who advocates or aids the overthrow of the government by force or violence."

If accepted by the House, the bill will go to the Senate. There, it was learned yesterday, the House bill and the Ober Law, which outlaws the Communist Party and provides heavy punishments for "subversive" activities, will be combined into one bill.

The combined legislation will be voted on by the Senate, and, with Senate approval, it will move on to the House. If the House refuses to accept the combined bill, which is very likely. State officials say, then a recess study will be recommended. This means that the bill would have to wait until the next annual session before approval.

Bill Re-Written

The House bill, requiring the dismissal of Communists, was rewritten during the summer after its original sponsor, Representative Paul A. McCarthy, collapsed from a heart attack on the House floor. Patrick F. Plunkett succeeded him and proceeded to change the bill.

Plunkett deleted the phrase: "College and university presidents are instructed to expel . . ." Instead. it requires the expulsion by "law enforcement agencies." The word "Communist" was dropped out, and in its place "those advocating the overthrow of the government by force or violence."

The Ober Bill, drawn up last spring. is modeled after Maryland's Bill. It also makes it "illegal and punishable to teach and advocate the overthrow of the governments of Massachusetts and the United States by force and violence."

Other sections of the bill require all teachers and state employees to undergo loyalty oaths and investigations. State officials point out that the Ober Bill would overlap the House bill. Therefore, they have made the decision to combine the two.