Box Lunch Blues

Biology and chemistry concentrators pay a peculiar price for their choice of field. They don't enjoy lunch very often. Pitted against a rushed meal at the houses or no food at all, most lab students resort to the notorious box lunch.

According to the age-old formula, box lunches consist of four sandwiches; usually salami, sliced cheese, soggy tomatoes, bread, all uniformly unappetizing. An apple or orange, warm milk, and crumbled cookies complete the ration. It is no surprise that the wastebaskets begin to look healthier than the students.

The quality of the sandwiches could be easily improved. One made of fresh bread covered with mayonnaise or some other spread, placed firmly around good-sized portions of meat, and another with tasty jam would be much more welcome than the present four appetite-killers.

The lab-dwellers pay the same $14 a week for board as everyone else. Since the central kitchen offers unlimited servings in the houses, it should make a superb box lunch at the price of one meal in the dining halls.