Deacon Eleven Downs Dudley, 14-0 Bellboys Win Victory Over Leveret

Kirkland House opened its football season on Thursday by defeating Dudley, 14 to 0, while Lowell and Leverett also saw action for the first time, with the Bellboys winning by a 12-0 score. Kirkland, Dunster, Lowell, and Winthrop are undefeated after the first round of House games.

John Tangen, captain of the Deacons, scored once each in the second and third quarters on twisting runs through the Commuters' line. He also kicked both the extra points, and unsuccessfully tried for a field goal in the first quarter.

Tailback Ralph Maffel and wingback Chick Nelson were the other leading contributors to Kirkland's victory. Maffel opened the game with a brilliant 30-yard run and was indispensable as a linebacker when his team was on the defense. Solid defense kept the Deacon attack bottled up all afternoon.

In the day's other contest, Leverett topped Lowell in every department except points scored. The Bunnies gained 185 yards through passing, completing 14 out of 32 attempts, and gained 47 yards on the ground. The Bellboys only amassed a total of 33 yards both on the land and in the air, but it was enough to win.

Both of Lowell's touchdowns came in the first half. Tom Johnson caught a pass from the 2-yard line culminating a ground drive from the Bunnies' 25, where the Bellboys took over on downs. The other tally resulted when Bucky O'Connor scored on a 30-yard interception.

Dunster and Winthrop will battle it out next Thursday when the next series of House games is scheduled.