GSAS Group Aids College's 'Combined Charities' Drive

The Graduate School of Arts and Sciences has joined in a "friendly relationship" with the College's Combined Charities Drive, Ira H. Peterman '52, Chairman of the Combined Charities Drive, announced last night. There was discussion of such a move last fall, but this is the first time even a tentative combination has been effected. The drive will officially open Monday.

Peterman said last night that he hopes that soon there will be a central committee for a University-wide drive, and regards this relationship as the first step. The group, under Frank L. Parker, 31., will use the same contribution card and brochures as the Combined Charities.

The Law School may join the Combined Charities next year. Miss Sowdra Markowitz 21. Drive chairman, said last night. However, since the Law group didn't list any particular charities on their contribution card or send out any brochures, they thought that the "book keeping difficulties might arise." Under the present Law School system, contributers may write in any charity; other wise the committee allocates the money.

The Combined Charities contribution card lists nine possible charities for the contributor to check and a space to write in any other. A pamphlet briefly describing each charity will be delivered to student rooms Sunday night.

Livingston Hall, Law School vice dean and Chairman of the Harvard unit of the 1952 Red Feather campaign, said last night that both last year's and this year's Combined Charities pamphlets didn't "stress that students themselves are the direct beneficiaries of the greater Boston Fund."

Hall asserted that about 25 percent of the Fund goes to Boston hospitals, and last year 226 students spent 3,453 days in these hospitals at a cost of $8.00 more per day than the regular rates. "Thus, the Boston hospitals . . . have made available more than $27,500 of free medical service to Harvard University students last year," he said.

He also stated that more than $500,000 is allocated to the United Defense Fund, which is "mainly of benefit to young men."

Peterman claimed last night that Hall wants consideration for Red Feather out of proportion with the other eight charities, and thus we have no right to stress all the facts that he wants." Hall wrote a letter to the Combined Charities, but it arrived after the pamphlet was written. Peterman admitted, however, that "we could possibly have changed it on proofing.