Winthrop Defeats Dunster Eleven; Three Men Hurt

Varsity basketball player Bill Hickey and two other House footballers were carried off the field yesterday in a closely-contested game between Dunster and Winthrop, which the Puritans won, 7 to 6.

In the other House game yesterday, Leverett came from behind to whip Eliot, 18 to 14. It was the second straight loss for the Elephants, winners of the House title for the last two years.

Hickey suffered a shoulder separation while attempting to circle end. A more serious injury was sustained by Luther Bridges of Dunster, who was operated on last night at Peter Bent Brigham Hospital for a broken vertabrae in his neck. His condition was described by hospital authorities last night as "satisfactory." The third injured player was David Cudhea of Winthrop, who suffered a broken ankle.

The game between Dunster and Winthrop was the most crucial thus far in the House league, with both teams being rated as possible champions. It was a hard-fought contest which at one point almost developed into a free-for-all.

After a scoreless first half, the Dunster team came back in the second and at- tempted a series of plays which put it on Winthrop's five-yard line, but the Funsters were unable, to score. The ball reverted to Winthrop, and Jim Wycoff, subbing at fullback for Cudhea, ran it on a pitchoff for a first down to his own 40.

Quarterback Walter Greeley took the ball from the T. faded back and passed to Gerry Dorman, who was pulled down on the 25-yard line. On the next play, Wycoff reached the two-yard line, and immediately afterward charged into the end zone. Frank Hernberg went over for the extra tally.

Winthrop seemed to be on its way to another score when Dunster's Bob Smith intercepted a pass on his own 15-yard line. Jack Brophy, passing from the fullback slot, threw the ball to Smith who caught it and raced fifty yards untouched for the first Dunster score of the day. The vital try for the extra point was unsuccessful.

In the second upset of the day, a Leverett team showed surprising strength in vanquishing an Eliot squad which lacked last year's defensive steadiness. In the opening minutes of the second quarter, Eliot's Hank Greenburg intercepted a pass from Leverett's Bucky O'Connor, running the ball back 70 yards for a touchdown. Charles Cabot kicked the extra point.

Eliot scored another in quick succession, Major Close going over for the score, and the Elephants left the field at mid-game, leading 14-0. The second half was a complete reversal, though, with Leverett plowing through the weakening Eliot defenses.

Backs Bill Chandler, Sandy Batchelder and Sam Paschal alternately carried the ball down the field with Chandler finally going over from the three-yard line. The second touchdown came after O'Connor ran 59 yards down the field, assisted by a key block on the part of Batchelder. O'Connor then threw the ball to Bunny captain Lowell Sachnoff for the second touchdown.

With two minutes left to play, Eliot led 14-12. Paschal broke through the Eliot line and went 52 yards to score.This is the play in which Bill Hickey was injured. On the far left is DAVE JEFFERSON, Dunster. Left to right are JIM WYCOFF, Winthrop; BOB EDEN, Dunster, who made the tackle; BILL HICKEY, Winthrop, carrying the ball, and ED BLODNICK, Dunster.