180 Men Hear Bender, Monro, Beer Describe Available Travel Grants

About 180 people filled the Lamont Forum Room last night to hear members of the faculty speak about opportunities for travel and study abroad.

Dean Bender expressed his pleasure about the large turnout and recommended that students make their post-graduate plans on the basis of not being drafted. If they are drafted, he pointed out, nothing will have been lost.

Besides Bender, who described the lush travelling fellowships available to top scholars, John U. Monro '34, Director of Financial Aid, and Samuel H. Beer, associate professor of Government, spoke at the meeting.

Monro discussed the techniques of applying for Fulbright grants, emphasizing that the nature of the project which the applicant had in mind was one of the most important factors in winning a scholarship. In the last competition. Harvard graduates copped ten percent of the awards.

Beer, once a Rhodes scholar himself, suggested that a magna grade and a competent showing in the interviews are the most important qualifications in applying for a Rhodes Scholarship.

The scholarship meeting is the first Student Council-sponsored forum this year.