Varsity Club Gets $10,000 Face-Lift to Encourage Use

A $10,000 remodelling job just completed has given the Varsity Club a "new look" intended to lure all eligible undergraduates to use the building continuously. About $2,000 went into a new kitchen, another $1,000 into a snack bar and other improvements to make eating a pleasure. The interior has received new paint throughout, and much of the furniture was covered with gayly-colored material. Bright, new curtains also add to the changed atmosphere. Within the next few weeks, the club officers plan to install a television set.

Although the Varsity Club's future is insured by the Alston Burr Fund, this money can only be used for a new club house. Heeding President Conant's advice, the club members are resigned to waiting until the government releases necessary construction items. According to Forester A. Clark '29, however, all the new additions are easily transportable.

Inspired by these refurbishings, John "Red" Lewis '52, undergraduate president, has planned a dance for November 3, the day of the Open game. If this is a success, he hopes to increase the tempo of social activities during the year.

Clark, new graduate president, announced, "We want to make the Varsity Club more than a physical plant. We want it to stand with the other buildings in the College and integrate its activities with the college community." He said that it should be a pleasant social center for both graduates and undergraduates and hoped the new improvements would help realize this aim.