LINING THEM UP

Poley's Stampeding Yardlings

By David C. D. rogers

The freshman 150 pound crew rowed well last fall. After two months on the water this spring it is rowing much better and regularly gives the varsity a run for its money: this--with a part-time coach, full-time Business student who wishes he could row himself.

"I'd rather do the rowing than the telling," says former Crimson oarsman Ted Reynolds, who's finding it tough to save time for crew and business. "But I get a kick out of coaching." Gulding the freshman and varsity 150s is his first such job and he regrets having to leave it when the season's over. Reynolds took over the 150s last fall, temporarily, he thought. But he did no well that everyone wanted him to stay.

Although several potenial oarsmen dropped out at the start of the spring season, Reynolds put together a first boat that is still together. "They're a smooth outfit, with lots of spirit, and right now I see no reason for breaking them up."

Weight and ability are no problem. "They've worked out well," says the new coach. But he counts more on spirit than luck to pinch hit when he's tied up. "Their drive is good and may make the difference when I'm not there."

Five of the first eight came to Newell experienced oarsmen. Stroke John Hadik fell into that spot after leading Brooks' varsity crew. Before Hadik appeared for winter practice, Eric Oddleifson stroked but is now in number six position where his extra weight is all important.

Reynolds' "engine room" between seven and four seats sports three who are making their rowing debuts. At port, behind Hadik, Bob Volpe came fresh to Harvard from Loomis. Tall, slim John Lizars holds down number five position, but never handled an oar before, and rangy Keith Garland rows out of the crucial four spot.

Three tailmen on the first eight knew the crew strokes, with Tony Murry from Belmont Hill, at starboard three, long-armed Pete Ludwig in two spot, and stubby Bill Warren, former Groton oarsman, at bow.

The three coxes, all light, all equally good, will rotate in each of the scheduled three races. Reynolds can't decide between Bill Ota, Jim Ostreicher, and Thad Palys.

Second eight ends up regularly behind the first. It includes but two experienced men--stroke, Brett Langstaff and number one, Nick Daniloff. Between the bow and stern are Vic Harwood, at port seven and Peter Viles at six. Fifth seat is held down by Tom Williams, with Ridge Green at number four and Bailey Silbert at port three. Troy Brown in two position rounds out the shell.

"The Banana Boat" holds Barry Bingham, Carter Brown, and Howle Flandars.

Off the river, Coach Reynolds' boys wonder when he's going to get married and how he ever does his work. On the river, it's racing form and snappy stroke.