Tug of War Mauls Many Dartmouth Freshmen, Sophs

Battered and exhausted after a disastrous freshman-sophomore tug of war, an estimated 2,000 Dartmouth men should have little strength left for rioting when they hit Cambridge this weekend.

For reasons of safety last year, tugs of war were instituted at Hanover to replace the annual "football rush" which traditionally marked the end of hazing.

This year a log attached to the rope split, sending a thousand Indians sprawling, inflicting one broken leg, one broken arm, two concussions, numerous bruises, and slight abdominal injuries. The latter were suffered by a sophomore when a piece of log caught him in the belly.

According to the rules, if the freshmen win they can discard their beanies; but if they lose they have to wear them until the Dartmouth-Cornell game. After the debacle Tuesday, the beanie issue was decided in favor of the freshmen.

One of the incidents which led to the banning of "football rush" a kind of football game without any rules occurred several years ago when a member of Dartmouth's student governing body who was supervising the event swallowed his whistle.

"Football rush" itself was a replacement for an earlier event known as Picture Day. The object of this was for freshmen and sophomores to keep each other from being photographed Picture Day was discontinued after a freshman tried to blast out sophomores with dynamite.