New York D.A. Probes College Football Games

Hogan Shifts From Basketball To Football; Turns Attention To Bowl Game Investigation

By Michael J. Halberstam

The New York City District Attorney's office is investigating the possibility of bribery and "fixing" in connection with specific college football games, the CRIMSON learned yesterday from an informed source. The District Attorney's office last night refused to comment on the situation.

This is the first revolution that the District Attorney, Frank S. Hogan, may be turning his eyes from college basketball to college football.

None of the games understood to be under investigation by the District Attorney is a Harvard game, but one of the contests being looked into is a recent Bowl game.

The investigation is believed to be in its early stages, and no arrests are expected to be made for some time. Assistant District Attorney Vincent A. G. O'Connor last week said that the current basketball scandal is expected to grow even larger, and this will probably keep the D.A.'s office busy for at least a month.

Legal Questions Loom

Legal experts pointed out yesterday that law enforcement agencies may have difficulty making convictions in any football investigations, since at present it appears that none of the games in question was played in a state with a specific law prohibiting the tampering with the outcome of athletic contests.

Although yesterday's news is the first indication that college football games are being investigated by police officials, Stanley Woodward, former sports editor of the New York Herald Tribune, stated in this week's Look Magazine that the District Attorney's office has found evidence of "a master betting ring that has been fixing some of the professional football games for years."

Woodward also mentioned recent rumors that "the next big sports scandal will come out of a football Bowl game."