Winthrop Ties Bellboys, 6-6; Kirkland Bows to Eliot, 13-7

The two undefeated leaders of the House football league, Lowell and Winthrop, battled to a 6 to 6 tie yesterday afternoon. In the second game of the day, Eliot scored a 13 to 7 win over Kirkland for its first victory of the year, but in this game, the House football injury string unfortunately remained unbroken, as Mark Collins of the Eliot line broke his nose in a play at scrimmage in the third period.

Handicapped by the absence of Dave Cudhea and Bill Hickey--both out with injuries--Winthrop didn't show its usual power in its crucial battle with Lowell. The Puritans gained their lone score in the opening quarter on a 15-yard run by Jim Wykoff.

The Lowell passing attack began to click in the third period as Ted Briggs caught a 30-yard pass from Bruce White. The Bellboys scored on the next play with a five-yard pass from Bob Lown to Tom Johnson.

Eliot made its two scores on runs by Charlie Cabot in the first quarter and John Keane in the third. Kirkland made its only score on a 25-yard pass from John Tangen to Steve Moore late in the fourth period.

Other Results

In touch football, Kirkland scored a 36 to 12 win over Eliot, and Winthrop took Lowell, 24 to 6.

In the opening games of the Yard's National Football League, Matthews South scored a 6 to 0 victory over Massachusetts. Jim Gray threw a touchdown pass late in the game to give Lionel a 6 to 0 win over Wigglesworth West. Hollis beat Grays, 13 to 7.

In the American League, Thayer Middle and Weld South played to a scoreless tie, and Stoughton won from Dudley, 19 to 12.

In soccer, Dunster beat Dudley, 4 to 0, and Leverett tied the freshman "B" team, 1 to 1.