Harriers Win Against Green

"Six Crimson harriers finished in succession behind Dartmouth's Stan Smiley to give Jaakko Mikkola's cross country team an upset victory over the slightly favored Green, 20 to 37, yesterday at Hanover in a dual meet. It was the Crimson's second victory in three attempts."

The above is a word for word copy of last year's CRIMSON story on the Dartmouth cross country meet. It is just as accurate today as it was a year ago. Smiley, of the Green, won the race for the second straight year, and the Crimson's Dave Gregory and Dave Cairns again finished closely behind him.

The similarity stops here with the next four Crimson runners being sophomores who were running against the Dartmouth freshmen last year. Emil San Souci. Hal Gerry, Hugh Maguire, and Bruce Phillips finished within 25 seconds of each other to complete the scoring. Acting Coach Bill McCurdy termed the race "the greatest team effort so far."

Meanwhile, one of the strongest Dartmouth freshman squads in years romped over a previously undefeated Yearling team, 15 to 48. Captain Dave Jingle and Marshall Chills were the first '55 finishers.

The Yardlings defeated the Rhode Island State freshmen last week.