Commission Discloses Universal Service Plan

Plan Would Involve 800,000 Youths Yearly; Committee Against Deferments

WASHINGTON, D.C. Oct. 28 -- A plan for Universal Military Training Service --a program that could involve 800,000 youths annually and cost more than $4,000,000,000 in the first year--was disclosed today by the new National Security Training Commission.

The commission definitely opposed deferment of college students, except for their current academic year. However, if a student failed to maintain good grades, he could be inducted at any time.

UMT Before Professional Training

"We believe," the commissioners stated, "that all persons who intend to enter upon the study of medicine, dentistry, the several sciences, or professional training should take their training in the corps before beginning such study. We would basically oppose their deferment for the full period of their professional training."

"The training program should get underway at the earliest possible date," the commission added.

According to an Associated Press dispatch, a UMT program starting off on a limited scale would involve training about 60,000 men annually. In full operation the system would mean that approximately 800,000 youths would get six months of training, then for the next seven and a half years be in a reserve component.

Plan Similar to Conant's

In effect the plan appears similar to one proposed last year by President Conant, who advocated starting UMT on a full scale and permitting the Selective Service System to lapse. President Conant also proposed that no person, including those planning to enter the professions, should be deferred.

The Security Training Commission, composed of a five-man civilian commission, began work last fall after Congress approved the overall plan of UMT. Congress left details for the form and operation of UMT entirely up to the commission.

Induction of trainees would be through the existing Selective Service system. The trainees would not be members of the regular armed forces, although they would be trained for military duty.