Teachers Can't Do Anything These Days--Nudity, Beer Making Included

The limits to which a teacher can go before being judged a corruptor of youth have been circumscribed a bit further this past week by two Southern colleges.

For one thing, he must wear clothes, and, for another, he must invest his money in something other than intoxicating beverages.

These limits were defined when Bethal College in McKenzie, Tennessee, dismissed zoology professor John E. Bauman for belonging to a nudist group, and the University of Alabama accepted the resignation of assistant dean Marion Coley whose financial interest in a beer distributing firm was deemed "detrimental to the University."

Roy N. Baker, president of the Cumberland Presbyterian School, said of the 59-year-old zoology professor's activities in the American Sunbathing Association: "That's right, the policy of that organization does not fit in with out church program. We don't fool with that kind of business."

But Bauman charged, "They brought up that old question about why did God make a fig leaf for Eve if God wanted man to be in the nude," and, he added, "that is not even historically true."

Coley decided to continue as vice-president of the Regal Distributing Co. and gave up his position at Alabama after he was informed that the administration held it "would be detrimental to the University to have on the faculty anyone who had a direct interest in an alcoholic beverage business."