UMT Could Start Next Summer If Congress Acts During Spring

Universal Military Training could begin next summer if Congress acts quickly, members of the National Security Training Commission said in Washington yesterday.

According to an Associated Press dispatch, they estimated that if Congress authorized UMT by the end of March, the Armed Services could be ready to receive the first 13-year-old recruits by July.

Dr. Karl T. Compton, former president of M.I.T. and now acting chairman of the commission, reported that the Armed Forces are working on preliminary plans for training facilities. Many Congressmen, however, foresee a long debate before the plan is instituted. Others feel that UMT should wait until the necessity of drafting young men is over.

When the Training Commission submitted its blueprint for UMT to Congress Sunday, it asked the plan be started at the earliest possible time. "The clear prospect is that the present generation must live in danger for many years," the Commission stated.

The report opposes any deferment for college students, except for their current academic year. However, the report pointed out that if any students failed to maintain good grades he could be inducted at any time.

The program would involve 800,00 men yearly.