Group Will Study Transition From School to College

Perhaps a new form of General Education will be evolved when a six-man committee meets today at Phillips Academy, Andover, Massachusetts. Representatives from Harvard, Yale, and Princeton and from Phillips Exeter Academy, Lawrenceville, and Andover comprise the group.

Chairman Alan Blackmer, English instructor at Andover, said the committee hopes to propose a means "to make a more coherent and effective whole of General Education before specialization begins." John M. Kemper, Headmaster at Andover, gave a brief description of the plan during a dinner at M.I.T. Thursday night. He described the program as designed to ease the transition from school to college.

Blackmer said he hoped to have more prep-schools join the plan. Then he added a group of "selected boys" would be offered "a typical, pilot program" from school to college. The exact details will be decided in future meetings.

Although the plan is "a program for education in general," the chairman said that it would probably "raise educational standards" as well, and "move abler boys through faster than now possible."

Besides Blackmer, the members of the group are: E. H. Harbison, professor of History at Princeton; Charles Seymour, professor at Yale; McGeorge Bundy, associate professor in Government; Henry Bragbon, History master at Phillips Exeter Academy; and Wendell Taylor, chairman of the science department Lawrenceville.