Needed: Money

The Harvard Band has a raw deal. As an independent organization, it has performed at every football game since the war's end without any pay other than travel expenses for one trip a year. If the Band isn't actually the main drawing card at these games, it at least shares the gridiron honors equally with the men in padding. As a matter of plain fact, the H.A.A. and the College owe the Band a debt of gratitude.

Nevertheless, when the Band has to scrape the bottom of its financial barrel, as it is doing now, nobody seems to give a damn. The H.A.A. just shakes its head over a ream of red-inked ledgers and the alumni point apologetically to the new income tax laws; there is no money coming from either source. That leaves the Band's future up to students.

The Band has been planning and practising for a concert this fall, for which it must sell 1,000 tickets to make the venture worthwhile. If fewer tickets are sold, the Band just won't go to Cornell. Anyone who pays the entrance fee will have a good time, and give the Band a well-deserved boost as well.