Underdog Crimson Braves Lion's Den at Baker Field

By Hiller B. Zobel

NEW YORK, October 5--Underdog in weight, experience, and ability, Lloyd Jordan's Harvard football team will put its .500 record on the line tomorrow afternoon when it closes with a hungry though untested Columbia Lion on Baker Field.

As Columbia was forced to cancel last week's scheduled opener with Princeton, due to suspicions of polio, this will be the third consecutive opponent to start its season against the Crimson.

But even without a prior look at the Lions, Jordan is quite aware of their potential, and definitely pessimistic.

"Lou Little has a strong, senior club this year. Anyhow, playing a Little team is always tough."

Jordan's squad, which took a final light workout on Baker Field this afternoon, is in relatively good shape. But Little has been moulding this particular Columbia team for three years, and it is now ready--for the Crimson, and for almost anybody else on its schedule.

The Crimson, playing its first game without Captain Carroll Lowenstein, will probably have to rely on passing. That hefty Columbia line is easily strong enough and smart enough to stifle Harvard's limited running attack.

As a result, Jordan is likely to spring several varieties of passing. He has been working the team hard this week, using pass play's which involve every member of the backfield.

And he has added pitch-and-pass sequences to his assortment of wingback, tailback, fullback, and even single-wing quarterback passes.

Columbia could, if Little so desired, turn the game into a wholly ethereal fray, because both junior quarterback Mitch Price and his veteran substitute, Kermit Tracy, are more than passing fair from the Columbia T.

Jordan has spent a great deal of time on pass defense in anticipation of this. But the Columbia running attack as personified in Vern Wynott and massive fullback Captain Howie Hansen, should have only nominal trouble rocking through the Crimson defense.

As a matter of fact, even the Crimson J.V. experienced no difficulty earlier this week, using Columbia plays against the first-string defense. Further, the Crimson defenders seemed badly fooled by the intricacies of the T, even when run by a J.V. quarterback.

The situation will be considerably graver tomorrow, with the deft Price working the deceptive plays.

Jordan plans no major lineup changes, although he has indicated that Bob Stargel would play offensive outside tackle, with former two-way man Arnie Horween relieving him on defense.

Dick Heldtmann, the letterman who was dropped to the scrubs two weeks ago, and has been fighting his way up again, accompanied the team down. He will play some, although Art Pappas will again start at guard