Von Stade Investigating New Scholarship Plans

Reserve Fund Nearly Exhausted As College Living Costs Rise; $5 Million in Capital Needed

Former scholarship holders may be asked to reimburse the University for aid they received while in College. F. Skiddy von Stade, Jr. '38, Chairman of the Committee on Scholarships, told the CRIMSON in an interview that he is now checking the value of this plan.

The Scholarship Office is also making a survey this year of National Scholarship holders since 1938. "The purpose of this survey," von Stade said, "is to see if the National Scholarship plan has been a success."

The two projects were brought about, von Stade said, due to the decreasing amount of money in the scholarship fund. "We are continually talking about the expanding scholarship program," he said, "yet the truth is that scholarship aid will have to be reduced when the wartime reserve fund is exhausted next year."

Von Stade said that the scholarship fund needs $200,000 more a year, or else an increase of $5,000,000 in capital funds. This is necessary to take care of the "cost of college living' jump from $1,200 in the last several years to the present rate of $1,700 per student each year.

The wartime reserve fund, which von Stade believes will be used up next year came about during the war when the student body was predominantly military, and scholarship income was placed in a reserve fund.