Girls Assert 20 Walker St. Unsafe, Demand Protection

Move Provoked by Prowlers' Entry Saturday; Front Door Is Easily Opened, They Claim

By Herbert S. Meyers

Two Annex sophomores, victims of an early morning visit from a pair of mysterious prowlers, last night charged that Radcliffe had provided "insufficient protection for the residents of 20 Walker Street," and demanded immediate action to make their dormitory safe from early morning intruders.

The girls, Froma Inselbuch and Georgia Stonehill, were awakened at 3:30 a.m. Saturday morning by two men who had gained entrance to the three-story wooden structure. According to statements by the girls, the description of one of the men fits that of a prowler who terrorized residents of 20 Walker last year and in 1949. Police concurred with this report.

No one was able to tell exactly how the two men gained entrance. The watchman in charge of off-campus houses reported that when he made his rounds at 3 a.m. the door was open, but girls who live in the house said that the lock on the back door was so insecure that even after the catch was on, manipulation of the handle could spring it.

Miss Inselbuch was the first to realize the danger. Her sleep was broken sometime after 3 a.m., and when she looked up from her bed, she noticed a tall, thin figure standing in the doorway, silhouetted by a hallway light.

At first she thought it was a girl, but when the figure sat on the end of her bed, she realized then that it was a man.

He just sat there and stared.

Miss Inselbuch spoke out, asking who he was and what he was doing there. He asked her to be quiet.

Meanwhile, her roommate, Georgia Stonehill had become fully awake. Ac cording to her statements yesterday, she had heard voices earlier, but had thought it was a dream.

After both of the girls gathered complete possession of their senses, asking over and over again, louder and louder. "What do you want here?" the man left.

The girls then called the House Resident, Miss Helen Phillips, Miss Phillips, serving in this capacity for the first year, called House Residents of other dormitories.

The first two she contacted found that the blue light warnings on their houses, supposedly used to call the night watchmen in cases of emergency, were not working. The third House Resident contacted the watchman and 15 minutes later he appeared at the dorm with six policeman.

Miss Phillips then called Dean of Residence Mary Small at her off-campus apartment.

Both girls stayed on at 20 Walker Street that night, but on Saturday Miss Inselbuch slept in another dormitory