Commends U.S. Peace Proposals

The Mail

To the Editors of the CRIMSON:

The recent Allied disarmament proposals, despite the Russians's unwillingness to accept them at face value, are laudable for several reasons widespread doubts as to whether the United States really wants peace. Second, the proposals give "peace" an operational definition. For the first time the U.S. spells out, in terms specific enough to be understandable, the steps which it would take toward, ending the U.S. Russia arms race.

To demonstrate our continued sincerity, the U.S. should leave no path unexplored in searching for agreement with the Soviet Union. It is well known that the Soviet Union itself has from time to time urged a census of armaments among all nations and has acknowledged that the principle of inspection of atomic installations is a valid one . . .

In order to make proposals such as these completely workable in a permanent sense, the U.N. must have a police force of its own and a system of law enforceable on individuals. The power of the U.N., manifested in these ways, should grow as disarmament, is effected, and should make rearmament impossible. Changes in the structure of the U.N., e.e, a representative General Assembly, would have to accompany this increase in power. We believe that U.S. foreign policy should look even beyond the present disarmament proposals, toward the revised United Nations organization necessary to Implement such proposals permanently. Gordon Brumm '53, President.   Harvard World Federalists