Bunnies Capture House Grid Title

Levertt's eager Bunnies rampaged to a 12 to 6 upset over Winthrop to topple the Puritans off the league lead on the muddy Jayvee field yesterday, and win the House football championship. In the other game of the day. Lowell crushed Kirkland, 25 to 6, ending the House football season.

Paul Staley's Leverett team outfought the Puritans all the way. The Bunnies made nine first downs to Winthrop's five, gained 104 yards on the ground to Winthrop's 43, completed five out of eight passes for 117 yards to Winthrop's four for twelve and 52 yards. Leverett attracted three times as many supporters as Winthrop, including a motely group of men calling themselves. "The Bunny Band," several girls, a cheerleader, and a six-foot pooka.

Leverett kicked off, and quickly recovered the ball when Winthrop was forced to punt after a series of power plays failed. Sparked by the running and

passing of Bucky O'Connor, the Bunnies drove to the Puritan 20, where O'Connor connected with Lowell Sachoff in the end gone for a touchdown, five minutes after the beginning of the game. O'Connor's placement kick failed.

Leverett recovered its own second kick off when Andy Smith fell on the ball after it had bounced off Winthrop lineman's leg, but failed to gain. Winthrop took over on its own 14 at the beginning of the second quarter and drove 86 yards to a touchdown. Jim Wykoff turned in two successive first downs on runs of 13 and 12 yards, and Walt Greeley passed to A1 Switzer on the Leverett 10 Frank Hernberg in the end zone for the tying score. Jim Redican's attempted conversion failed.

In the third period, Sam Paschal of Leverett turned in the longest run of the game when he crashed through the Winthrop line on the Puritans' 40,' got a beautiful key block from Lee Chandler and raced to a touchdown. But the play was called back on as illegal procedure penalty. After Winthrop was forced to kick to the Leverett 9, the Bunnies began to move. From the Leverett 27, Paschal connected with Sandy Batchedler on a long pass to the Purtitan 40, and Batchelder weny to the rest of the way for the game's final score. A pass attempt for the point after touchdown failed. Most of the final quarter was played in Winthrop territory.

The Lowell-Kirkland game was played on a field that was all mud, and the game started so late that the final two periods had to be shortened because of darkness. Frank Sweet acored the Deacons' only touchdown on a sweep around left end. Bob Lown's passing and the running of Ted Briggs and lan Cadenhead led the Bellboys to their four touchdowns.Leverett's SAM PASCHAL left half, back, goes down at the hands of an unidentified Winthrop tackler after a short gain around left end.