Brown Limits Liquor, Love, Frats

Fraternities

If anything is wrong with the nation's seventh oldest college it is its fraternity system. So thinks Brown's president, Henry M. Wriston.

Recent presidential policies and pronouncements have made members of the Greek letter societies tremble for their very existence, while many non-fraternity men or "independents" may well have rubbed their hands in glee

Referring to Brown's 17 nationally affiliated chapters. Wriston last May called them "one of our most conspicuous negative elements" which nothing can save "If they continue to be so stupid as to defeat the purpose of the University."

Wriston states unequivocally that he has no intention of abolishing the societies and that his sole aim is to improve them, but many fraternity men are not so sure.

The president's feud with the college fraternities began four years ago when he handed them a three-point ultimatum. At that time he ordered them to take in a greater percentage of the total student body, abolish all racial and religious discriminatory clauses from their charters, and raise their scholastic averages.

At present approximately 40 percent of the undergraduates belong to fraternities. This represents a substantial percentage-wise increase over four years ago, but it is mainly due to the decline in the overall college enrollment.

Most of Brown's chapters whose national affiliates have discriminatory clauses have gone on record in opposition to them, but none has formally broken with its parent body. There are no Negro members in any fraternity and, except in the single Jewish fraternity, relatively few Jews.

Low Scholastic Average

But it is on intellectual grounds that the Greek letter societies have provoked Wriston's sharpest criticism. Except for one semester, the scholastic averages of fraternity men have consistently fallen below the all-college averages.

The one innovation likely to have the profoundest affect on both fraternity and non-fraternity life at Brown is the multimillion dollar housing project which is nearing completion this year.

Destined to house all 1400 resident undergraduates in a single area, the quadrangle already contains five completed buildings sheltering 515 men, while four more will be ready for occupancy by year's end.

Each building, or unit, consists of two fraternity houses, one in each wing, with a dormitory wedged in between Facilities are equal but separate. However sliding panels are all that divide dorm and frat house rooms, and, these can be opened up to permit expansion in either direction.

With the student's cooperation, Wriston thinks, the new residential quadrangle can bring about an "intellectual revolution on the Brown campus." The greater centralization afforded by the project will, Wriston hopes, create a more unified college.

All resident undergraduates, as well as many commuters, now eat together in the spanking new refectory, keystone of the current project and now in to second semester of use.

Non-fraternity men eat in the central section of this giant dining hall, while the 17 fraternities take their meals it 17 adjoining rooms. Everyone, however eats the same food.

Student waiters serve the food except on Sundays and during breakfasts when cafeteria style is the rule. Diners can usually got second helpings, but are limited to one glass of milk at dinner and two at lunch.

Each of Brown's fraternities has from 10 to 60 members. Freshmen are pledged during rush weeks in the middle of their second semester and are inducted the following fall. One society is noted for culling members of the football team while others have different specialties of their own.

"No Student Rift"

According to Richard L. Sherman, editor of the Brown Daily Herald and rushing chairman of Delta Upsilon, most of the upperclassmen not in fraternities are not members simply because they don't want to be. In his opinion there is no rift between fraternity men and independents.

He pointed out that fraternity parties are usually open to all upperclassmen. Social life for independents, however, centers around Faunce House, the oldest operating student union in New England.

Run by a student board of governors, Faunce House contains a mammoth stuffed Alaskan Brown bear, a fully equipped theatre, and practically all the undergraduate student activities' offices. It sponsors dances almost every week and operates fountain service and a television room.

"Lobster" Council

All campus organizations and activities fall under the jurisdiction of the Cambrian Club, Brown's student council. Originally, the Cam Club was a social group which met for weekly lobster dinners--it derives its name from the Latin word lobster. It has the power to revoke the charters of any student club or publication, and it appoints the members of the student court.

This august body sits in solemn session once a week to try student infractions of the rules. Cases are referred to the court by the dean of the college, and all sentences may be appealed to the dean. Such charges as "conduct unbefitting a Brown gentleman" come under the court's jurisdiction.

Although college elections always create a great stir on campus, Brown is politically dead as far as the outside world is concerned. There are local Young Republicans, Students for Democratic Action, and World Federalists, but these are all relatively inactive.

Summing up non-academic interests. Herald Editor Sherman, characterized Brown as a "week-end school." This, at least for fraternity men, seems to be a widespread feeling