University Forbids Ruggers To Play Yale Charity Game

A Corporation ruling will forbid the Harvard rugby team from playing in the Fale Bowl. December 1 in a game scheduled for the benefit of the Connecticut Cerebal Palsy Association. Head sponsor of the game, Edwin J. Maley, chairman of the New Haven Lodge of Elke, announced last night that Princeton would send a team in place of the banned Harvard squad.

The Corporation ruling dates back to 1924 and reads. "It is understood that the Corporation does not approve of having athletic teams take part in any game where the purpose is purely the earning of money for the University or for anybody else."

The H.A.A. said, yesterday they had not heard the game was scheduled until last Friday. Athletic Association officials then passed the matter on to the Corporation.

Whether the Corporation discussed the matter at yesterday's regular meeting is not know, but University officials said late last night that the ruling still stood unchanged.

Contacted last night at the New Haven Lodge of Elks, committee chairman Maley said of the charity clause: "We appreciate it is a long-standing rule of the University, and it must take precedence over new plans. But we're sorry the occasion has arisen, and the Harvard team will not able to play."

Maley went on to say that the Elks had distributed 1,500 posters over the whole state of Connecticut. The posters had been put in all Elks' lodges, as well as in places of business.

At his Plainville, Conn., home, Philip J. Niederer, president of the Connecticut Cerebral Palsy Association, commented: "It'm perfectly happy that Princeton will play, and I don't think we should get into any trouble with any Harvard University policies." But he added, "I didn't think a game for charity would create such a situation."