Council Picks Deguglielmo As Next Cambridge Mayor

Joseph A. Deguglielmo '29 will be Mayor of Cambridge when the new council takes office in January, it was announced at yesterday's city council meeting.

Although formal elections are not held until January, Deguglielmo was assured a majority of the city council votes at a Cambridge Civic Association caucus held before the council meeting. The Cambridge Civic Association candidates comprise five of the council's nine members. The mayor is a councillor, but also acts as titular head of the city and presides at all social functions.

Deguglielmo succeeds Mayor Edward a Crane also a C.C.A. sponsored candidate. Crane, who has been mayor for two years, does not want the job again because he wishes "to devote more time to his law work and his family life."

The new mayor received his A.B. In 1922 from Harvard and his L.L.B. from Boston University Law School. He is the president of the Cambridge Bar Association. Donald Spencer '26, president of the C.C.A., calles him "the fastest brain on the city council."

A year ago, Deguglielmo defended the Lampoon when they were tried for obscenity in the Pontoon, a parody of mid-western college humor magazines. The Lampoon was found guilty of "selling and distributing obscene literature" and lined $100.

In the recent elections the CCA retained control of the Council in a reflection of the nation-wide shift to clean up city government.

DeGuglielmo has been active in affairs concerning Cambridge and the College.