Monteux May Deliver Lamb Music Talks

Pierre Monteux, conductor of the San Francisco Symphony Orchestra since 1935, will in all probability be next year's Horatio Appleton Lamb Visiting Lecturer, it was learned last night. Monteux received the offer from the Music Department recently.

He has already planned a course on music, from its beginn'nes up to Lully, and will telephone his New York agent today before definitely accepting the position here.

Mrs. Monteux said yesterday at the Hotel Copley Plasa in Boston, that her husband considered the offer "a very great honor."

Previous awards under the fund, established by Mrs. H. A. Lamb in honor of Horatio Appleton Lamb '71, went to Georges Eneeco in 1929-30, Gustav Holst, 1931-32. Hugo Leichentritt, 1933-34, Bela Bartok, 1943. Aaron Copland, now Charles Eliot Norton Professor, in 1944, Otto Kinkeldey, 1946-47, and, Carl Weinrich, 1950-51.

With Russian Ballet

Monteux was born April 4, 1875, and studied at the Paris Conservatory. In 1911, as conductor of the Diaghilev Russian Ballet he introduced for the first time Igor Stravinsky's "Petrouchka," "Sacre du Printemps," and "Rossignol," Maurice Ravel's "Daphnis et Chioe," and Claude Debussy's "Jeux."

He first came to the United States on a tour with the Russian Ballet in 1916-17, conducted at the Metropolitan Opera House in 1917-18, and was conductor of the Boston Symphony Orchestra from 1919 to 1924.

Since then, Monteux has been conductor of orchestras in Amsterdam, Paris and San Francisco.