Open to Make Mighty Stadium Debut

Strong T, Deep Line Out to Win for Hyde

Naked recruitment of football players, to castigated by press and public, so decried by educators, sometimes pays dividends. The best example of the some-efficacy of the policy of proselyting is the team which Open University will field this afternoon.

A week ago the members of the Open squad were scattered about the House League. Today, thanks to Coach Dwight Hyde 1B and his Open Subsidization plan, these individuals are welded into one of the most enthusiastic and hard-hitting teams over to prance on the Stadium turf.

Fast, Driving Club

Much of the credit for this transformation must go to Hyde, who completely reorganized the Open squad after a heartbreaking series of early-season scoreless ties. Hyde has taken his top-running Winthrop team as a nucleus, and built a fast, driving club around it. And Hyde has accomplished this feat despite the fact that half of his players (from Kirkland and Dunster) have had to switch almost instantly from the single-wing to the T.

"But we haven't had much trouble on that score," Hyde says. "T blocking is, after all, much more straightforward than single-wing. And the backs have been adapting very well."

Key man in the revamped Open attack is Walt Greeley, the tall quarterback with the accurate arm. Greeley, a proven shrewd play-caller, will be able to call on not one but three fast men to move the ball. Both the halfbacks, Charley Collins and Bob Smith, are genuine whippets, while starting fullback Mark Noble has turned in several fine runs over the season.

Behind this quartet, Hyde plans to use another backfield which relies a little more on driving power. Fullbacks Art Levy and John "Bangin'" Tangen, at left half are both runners who should go well on trap plays up the middle. This is also true of right half Frank Hernberg. Clever Bob Whoriskey quarterbacks the second backfield.

Two Lines

Hyde has a pair of good lines to block for his backs. The number one combination has a solid core of Winthrop men in Bob Knauss at center, and Bill Glazier and George Chase at the guards. Kirkland provided a tough pair of tackles in Charley Hartley and Eliot "Rocky" Stone. Both the ends, Deke DeCoen and Thayer Brown, have shown plenty of pass-catching ability.

The second line lacks some of the ability of the starting seven, but is an all-star combination in its own right. Hyde plans to use it extensively, too. Sparklers of this group are guards Andy Ichiti and Hanny Reynolds. Rugged John Altmeyer at center, and tackles Fred Davis and Tony Van Wye are also capable performers, as are ends Jerry Dorman and Tom "Pat" Egan.

Hyde, a daring experimenter, the first to install a Split-P formation, has gone traditional for this game. He will stick with the customary two-platoon system, and no wonder. For the Open defensive unit is one of the finest extant.

The scrappy Ichiti and 240-pound tackle Pete Hill are the foundations on which Hyde has built as tough a defensive line as Closed is likely to meet all year. The non-coaching Frank Leahy teams with Hill--one of the least trappable tackles in the House League--while "Killer Bill" Frank is Ichiti's running mate at guard. Ken Eddy and "Rabbit" Dowahare are the tough ends.

Hyde is fortunate, because Ed Cohen, House football's top linebacker, will be able to play, despite a badly gashed eyebrow. Altmeyer in the other backer. Size-handed Joe Broido and the non journalistic Dick Kline are the halfbacks, Although Hyde may also use bruising Jim Wykoff in one of the posts Norman Hall will start at safety