Law Professor Dodd Drowns As Auto Plunges Into River

Edwin Merrick Dodd, Jr. '10, Fessenden Professor of Law, and his wife died Saturday night when their car crashed through a guard rail on the Shapeleigh Island bridge and fell into the Piscataqua River in New Hampshire.

Navy crane operators and other rescue workers recovered the bodies yesterday.

First reports of the accident came from the Captain of the Watch at the Portsmouth Naval Base. He said he saw the car skid out of control and plunge off the ice-covered bridge. Dodd was driving to his home at New Castle.

Served on W.P.B.

Dodd graduated from the Law School in 1913. He returned to the University as a professor in 1928 after having taught at Washington and Lee and the University of Chicago. He was an expert on corporation law and served on the War Production Board to Boston during World War II.

Dodd taught one of the three sections of Corporations I, a second year course, and was scheduled to teach a seminar on corporation finance this spring. Together with Ralph J. Baker, professor of Law he wrote a corporation case book, which is being used for the first time this fall.