College Mus Solve Parietal Issue--Council

Council Asks Administration To Seek Alternative Plans Faculty Will Discuss Issue

Meeting for the first time since the Administrative Board turned down the Council recommendation for liberalization of room permissions Wednesday the Student Council last night dumped the parietal rule issue squarely back it the Administration's lap.

This upheld the reply to the Administration framed last week by Council President Richard M. Sandler '52 which asked the Administration to "direct some body as the Committee on Houses to propose an alternative answer." Sandlser said yesterday that it is "incumbent or the Administration to offer a solution. If they don't people may draw their owr conclusions."

Robert H. Cole '52 charged the Council with lacking initiative in not giving alter native proposals and just "sitting back doing nothing... and seeing what some body else does." John B. Hirsch '54 wondered whether "the public will think we have-given up." Sandler replied by commenting "we can't keep on offering solutions and getting slapped in the face."

Hope for Faculty Support

Some Council members hoped that faculty members might support the Council and House Committee's plan for extending room permissions to 11 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays at this afternoon's Faculty meeting. "I would be very surprised," Sandler said, "if the faculty considered this for more than a minute and overruled the Administrative Board." The Council decided to defer further discussion until after the meeting.

The faculty has the power to ask the Administrative Board to reconsider its rejection of the parietal rule petition. Such faculty power is seldom used, however.