Football Coaches Discuss Proposed Changes in Rules

Coach Lloyd Jordan told writers and coaches at yesterday's football luncheon at the Hotel Vendome, that proposals for doing away with the point after touchdown should be seriously considered.

Jordan, president of the Coaches Association, said that recommendations for some sweeping changes in college football should be passed on to a rules committee for further consideration.

Buff Donelli, coach and athletic director at Boston University, advocated the changes at the affair yesterday. He told the mentors that the point after touchdown should be eliminated, since this "would permit freer use of field goals as determining factors in close games rather than a point after. Under the present set up, a weaker team has a better chance of winning. It is no indication of strength."

Bell Asks 7 Point Touchdown

Bert Bell, Commissioner of the National Football League, also recently proposed that the point after should be ruled out, and replaced by a seven-point touchdown.

Other, changes Donelli suggested were a substitution rule, and permission for coaches to talk to players during time out, a rule in professional league books.

Jordan said, "We ought to work out some system on this substitution rule." He recalled pre-war days, before the two-platoon system had become popular. At that time, a man could not return to play in the game quarter once he was taken out. "It worked out all right then," Jordan added.