THE SPORTING SCENCE

Tigers in the Snow

By Michael J. Halberstam

Last Saturday, two of the Crimson's coming football opponents battled bravely upon the snow-filled reaches of Palmer Stadium in Princeton, New Jersey. The interesting fact about the game was not the score--Princeton defeated Brown 12 to 0, just about as had been expected--but that approximately 5,000 spectators and 80 players showed up.

It had been raining heavily for a day and a half and the field was as muddy as peat bog. Princetonians and their dates eagerly awaited the change in weather that had been forecast. It changed all right--it snowed.

The weather conditions, which many sportswriters described as "adverse," not seriously bamper the playing of Princeton's excellent tallback, Dick Kazmaier. "Kaz", as he is somewhat sickeningly known on the New Jersey campus, had outgained the entire Cornell team the week before, and he held the attention of the fans and writers for the entire game. He did not disappoint them.

After the first moments of the game, it became clear to Charles W.Caldwell, Jr., noted author and coach of the Princeton football team, that his boys would be unable to practice their usual mystifying maneuvers from the buck-lateral sequence. The weather made the simplest plays difficult and the tricky buck-lateral ones impossible.

Consequently, the tigers decided to use simple plays. The one on which the scored their first touchdown was hardly more complicated that having a man close his eyes and run straight ahead. After Princeton had recovered a fumble on the Brown 25, the Tigers lined up in a single wing to the right with an unbalanced line. The ball was snapped to Kazmaier who ran, of the places, to the left, and thus scored a touchdown. He kept his eyes open all the way, but he needn't have bothered--the Brown defenders were drawn in close and were caught off guard.

A short time later, still in the first quarter, Princeton made its second touchdown and ended the day's scoring. With second down and eight on their own 37, the Tigers again lined up a single wing to the right and again the ball was snapped to Kazmaier. The 170-pound tailback faked to his fullback and then went off the short-side guard for 60 yards and a touchdown.

Things were fairly dull for the rest of the game. Brown, realizing that Kazmaier was unable to pass in the snow, pulled its defense in close and stopped the subsequent Princeton drives. The inept Bruins themselves were stopped dead by the Princeton defensive team and usually punted on second or third down.

Harvard should win another football game this year, but it won't be Saturday.