Quintet Opens at Tech

The varsity basketball team is expected to open its 1951-52 season with a victory over M.I.T. at 9 p.m. tonight in the Tech gym. Not too much is definite about the Crimson team, but in any event it should be good enough to beat Tech.

Coach Norm Shepard is going to stick by his previously announced starting lineup, at least for the first few minutes of the game. After that time, substitutions will probably pour into the game as Shaperd attempts to get a line on what his reserves can do in regular competition.

Captain John Stevenson and Gerry Murphy, both seniors, will open at the forwards. Hook shot specialist Dick Lionette, will take the starting center slot, while sophomores Bill Dennis and Ed Condon will be the guards. Ed Krinsky, Amble Redmond, Bob Gremp, Bill Hickey and Ed Blodnick will also see a lot of action.

On the whole, the starting five is a fast outfit, except for the six-foot-four Lionette. Every man on the team is a potential high-scorer, something that was not true last year.

This will also be the opening game for the Tech team, about which Shepard knows very little. The home squad, led by Captain Mike Nacy, have much the same sort of team which lost to the Crimson, 60 to 41, last year. Coached by second year Business School student Ed Leede, the Engineers are strong in set shooting, but weak underneath the baskets