Struik Defenders Organize Tonight At Phillips Brooks

A small group of students will meet in Phillips Brooks House at 7:30 p.m. tonight in an attempt to form an undergraduate organization for the defense of Dirk Jan Struik, suspended M.I.T. professor of Mathematics. Struik was indicted in September for conspiring to overthrow by violence the Massachusetts government.

Stoughton Lynd '50, one of the organizers, said last night that the purpose of the organization would be to get Struik to speak here on civil liberate.

The Dean's Office requires a group to submit a list of ten names of undergraduates to be recognized as an organization with the privilege of using College lecture rooms. "The main purpose of tonight's meeting,'" Lynd stated, "is to get the required number of signatures to be formally recognized by the Dean's Office. About a month ago, when we first started organizing, we had about eight signatures."

Stuart Bryant 1GB, acting secretary of the group, said Tuesday that officers would be elected tonight. He stated that the organization has received the endorsement of Kirtley F. Mather, professor of Geology, who is one of the members of the Struik Defense Committee.

Meanwhile, Struik said last night that "the failure of the Commonwealth to file a bill of particulars against me will probably delay the case for some time." He contended: "I still do not have any idea of the charges tht Commonwealth is bringing against me."