Barnaby Praises Crimson Athletes In Herald Trib.

What's wrong with Harvard athletics? Nothing, says squash coach Jack Barnaby '32, and that's just what he told the 325,000 readers of the New York Herald Tribune yesterday. Furthermore, asserted Barnaby, "I think Harvard has the best athletic program in the country."

Barnaby's vigorous and documented support of Crimson athletics appeared in a Tribune sports column by Leonard Koppett. The coach of the 1950 national squash champions told Koppett: "I'm sick and tired of reading about what's wrong with Harvard athletics. For a couple of years our football team has been losing and basketball hasn't been strong, but so what?"

Minor Sports Good

Barnaby reminded Koppett of the recent "outstanding" players and teams in other sports like crew, squash, track, soccer, hockey and wrestling. Both Barnaby and Koppett also praised the College's extensive intramural as well as intercollegiate program, and the physical plant and coaching staffs.

Koppett commented that Barnaby's opinion "represents the prevalent view of athletics at Harvard, and the winter season coming up reflects it."

Neither Barnaby nor Koppett gave any predictions on the Harvard winter sports schedule, however.