Business School's Planned Halls Still Holes in Ground

After a month of construction, the Business School's Kreage Hall is little more than a hole in the ground (lower picture). Because the proposed building is situated on marshy lands, workers have had to overcome an additional difficulty.

The hall, made possible by a $2,000,000 gift from the Kreage Foundation, will house a large central dining-room, student lounge, grill, and faculty club. It is located at the east end of the Business School grounds, overlooking the Charles River.

Aldrich Hall (top) should be finished by the beginning of 1953. The main feature of the $2,900,000 project will be its tiered, U-shaped classrooms, an innovation in architecture designed especially for the Business School's case-method, classroom-type of discussions.

The building is named for the late Senator Nelson W. Aldrich, father-in-law of John D. Rockefeller, Jr., who gave the funds for its construction and partial endowment.

The Boston firm of Perry, Shaw, Hepburn, Kehoe, and Dean was selected in the fall of '50 to design the two new buildings. McKim, Mead, and White, the firm responsible for all of the school's present buildings, are serving as consulting architects.