Meet the Press

Radcliffe has adopted a new approach to the world at large. Through a new policy toward student representatives on outside newspapers, President Jordan and the Board of Deans have given up their attempt to control every word in the public press concerning the college and its students.

Hitherto, the college administration tried to prevent publication of any story it did not wish to see in print at a particular time. Hence, only Radcliffe's strong points, never its weak, reached the public eye. Moreover, students could not learn of administrative decisions until they were put into effect, too late for free discussion, too late for recommendations or objections to influence college policy.

By adopting a hands-off policy, like Harvard's, Radcliffe has increased the freedom of its students. Now a girl can get a part-time job with a newspaper just as with a lunch counter. She may apply directly to an editor instead of waiting and hoping for the publicity office to assign her. Newspapers can choose reporters on their merits instead of being forced to swallow whomever the publicity office assigns.

Nor is this increase in liberty restricted to journalists. All students can meet the press freely, without first being screened by the Publicity Office.

In his announcement, President Jordan points out that "all students are henceforth to be entrusted with full freedom in their personal relations with the press." With the long overdue granting of this freedom, Radcliffe has come of age.