Struik Visits Six Kirkland Men for 'Informal' Chat

Dirk Jan Struik, professor of Mathematics at M.I.T., made his first visit to the University since his indictment in September for conspiring to overthrow the government. Invited by a Kirkland House resident who was "interested in meeting Struik," he conferred with a small group of about six for several hours.

Struik, contacted at his home last night, refused to comment about the topic and reason of last night's meeting.

Louis F. Sharpe '54, who invited the accused M.I.T. professor to Kirkland House, said that the discussion varied in subject "from hiking through school policies, science and mathematics, and politics."

The only reference made to Struik's present legal position was the professor's remark that the State has not yet issued a bill of particulars about the case, Sharpe said. He continued, "It is really too bad that more students cannot get acquainted with Dr. Struik. After talking with him for only a few hours, the accusations made against him actually seem laughable."

Struik's listeners were impressed with intellect, simplicity, and his "enormous" knowledge on a variety of other subjects, the Kirkland sophomore reported.

Struik, who has been a member of the M.I.T. faculty for 26 years, will appear in court sometime in March.