Hall Predicts Ban In '52 of College Football Telecasts

Robert A. Hall, director of athletics at Yale, predicted yesterday that there would be a complete television blackout of 1952 college football, if the Justice Department did not rule it illegal.

Hall said that 98 percent of the colleges he personally canvassed are "against the continuance of television of college football even on an experimental basis."

College football games were televised under careful regulation this year, while the N.C.A.A. steering committee studied the results. A member of the Department of Justice has said unofficially that the association's position is illegal.

According to Hall, a number of schools suffered because of the program. He cited one game played in New Haven, at which the attendance was seriously decreased because of the televising of another game under the N.C.A.A. plan. Football television, he added, was hurting attendance throughout the nation, because fans ignored local contests to watch out-of-town games.

Hall expressed hope that the support he received on his canvass will overcome all pressure groups, including "television networks as well as political, alumni, and all other selfish interests."

The college's problem, he said, is to work out a solution "whereby we can live" with the television industry and still keep college sports at every college in the country on a solid financial basis." He expressed doubt, however, whether this can be done when all the facts and figures are known.