Council Committee Studies Place of College Activities

A Student Council committee is currently examining how organized extra-curricular activities help to educate Harvard's "whole man." Headed by Harvey Robinson '52, the group in already questioning undergraduates to find out what these men "get out of" their participation in the College's dozens of clubs.

Robinson has divided undergraduate organizations into seven provisional categories. The first includes the media of communication, such as the CRIMSON, WHRB, and the Advocate. Into the second grouping go the religious elements including the Appleton and Catholic clubs. The third category contains the French Club and Art Association and is considered by Robinson to be "formal academic-intellectual activities."

The fourth section,--hobby-talent,--holds the Chess, the Glee, and Flying clubs and the Band. Political activities are the fifth category while College. House, and class service activities (Crimson Key and Union Dance Committee) are the sixth.

According to Robinson, "the social clubs, obviously forming a category of activities of their own," make up the final group.

Robinson wants to find out what sort of activities attract the largest number of persons. He is also looking to discover "why a specific individual participates in a specific group activity." He seeks to find out the relationship between a man's present activities and his possible post-graduate plans and aspirations.

The committee suggests its results would be different over at Radcliffe as "college girls in American society take a different approach to activities because, either consciously or unconsciously, they entertain a different set of expectations about their future role in society."