B.U. Progressives To Hear Struik's Arguments Today

Dirk Jan Struik, suspended professor of Mathematics at MIT will address the Boston University Progressive Club on academic freedom this afternoon

Although he was scheduled to speak last Wednesday, this was impossible because the B.U. Progressives had yet to be recognized as an official organization. After the faculty-student committee that governs student activities approved the Progressive Club in a second meeting on the subject, Struik's address was rescheduled for this afternoon at 2 p.m. In Room 211 at the college of liberal arts.

Struik was indicted by a Middlesex County grand jury September 12 for conspiracy to overthrow the government of Massachusetts and that of the United States. Both he and Harry E. Winner, Malden, were identified as members of the Communist Party by Herbert A. Philbrick, F.B.I. undercover agent denounced as an "informer" by the "Struik Defense Committee."

The Committee, set up by 60 professors, clergymen, and others, is one of two groups formed to raise money for the M.I.T. professor's defense.

One of the members, the Reverend George A. Abbe of Gloucester, was ousted from his position as minister by his parish in Annisquam for taking part in the Committee's activities. The Greater Boston Universalist Ministers' Association sprang to his defense Tuesday and several other groups have added support since then.