Smith Trails Beck In Average Points Per League Game

While Harvard remained idle this week in Eastern Intercollegiate Basketball League play, sophomore Ernie Beck of Pennsylvania took the total scoring and per-game scoring leads, passing Crimson Captain Ed Smith in the latter department.

Beck made 36 points against Dartmouth Saturday, pacing Penn to second place in the standing with a 4-1 record. Columbia, the only undefeated major team in the country, continues to head the seven-team league, while Harvard remains in fifth position. Columbia also leads the team scoring records in every department except fouls.

In the individual standings, Smith managed to hold on to second place with his 17-points-per-game average, two and a half less than Beck. Jim Gabler and Gerry Murphy are the only other varsity players on the scoring list.

Penn has seven games left to play in a 12-game schedule in which Beck has a good chance to challenge Tony Lavelli's season record of 256 points set in 1948-49 for Yale. He now has 99 points toward his goal. Besides, his game record of 36 is second only to Lavelli's 40 markers. With 39 field goals already, he also has a good chance to pass the record of 79 set by Columbia's Walt Budke.

In swimming, Harvard and Dartmouth kept the tie for the E.I.L. with two victories apiece as no teams saw action during exam periods. Yale, which is heavily favored for the title, and Princeton have each scored a win to follow the leaders closely.