'A' Squash Team Seeks Sixth Title at Chicago

Crimson Squad, Undefeated in 6 Matches This Year, Rated Top College Team in Nation

The varsity squash team, only major undefeated squad in the country, goes after its sixth national squash racquets team title in Chicago today as first-round play in the field of 16 top teams gets under way at half a dozen different clubs. The Crimson is the only college squad entered in the tournament.

The train strike ended just in time to permit Coach Jack Barnaby's men to catch a train for the west Thursday afternoon. The squad, including Captain Henry Foster, Hugh Nawn, Charlie Ufford, Jim Bacon, Dave Watts, and substitute Sam Hoar as well as Barnaby and varsity manager Larry Pierce arrived in Chicago yesterday morning and worked out the same afternoon. They will stay at tournament headquarters in the Lake Shore Club.

Clark Not Competing

Joe Clark, regular number two man on the Crimson and also an honor student, was unable to make the trip since he has a thesis due for a prize competition by February 15. "Naturally the team will miss Clark," said Barnaby, "but our strong depth and experience will help make up for his loss.

"Most all of the teams in the nationals are definitely strong," Barnaby continued, "but if they are about the same quality as last year we stand a chance; if we can get to the semi-finals our condition may help us out." The finals will be played Sunday afternoon.

The Crimson is the only college team ever to win the national team crown, and they have done it five times--thrice in the 1920's, then again in '31 and '32, when Barnaby was playing number two. This year the varsity has swept 51 of 54 individual matches in six intercollegiate contests including an 8 to 1 triumph over Williams, who later downed both Yale and Princeton. A group of ex-Crimson racquet stars and other alumni have collected $1,000 to pay the team's expenses.