Track Team Meets H.C. as N.Y.A.C. Steals Competition

A week before an important Yale meet the track team should be keyed to top performance by good competition. Coach Jaakko Mikkola, therefore, was unhappy to learn earlier this week that the entire Boston College track team and half of the Holy Cross squad scheduled to meet the Crimson today will be unable to compete.

Mikkola's athletes will get no competition from the remaining Crusaders at 1:30 today in Briggs Cage.

A mix-up in schedules caused the confusion, with B.C. and Holy Cross having previously agreed to enter men in the New York Athletic Club meet in New York City this weekend. To add to the near-tragie lack of competition, Holy Cross, from lack of athletic facilities, has no entries ready for the 35-pound weight, the high jump, the broad jump, or the pole vault. The Crusader relay teams, containing most of their respectable middle-distance runners, will be in New York. Dan Kelly and Dick Ahearn, outstanding in the 600 and mile respectively, are lost to the mis-scheduling.

Charlie Durakis and Bob Twitchell will meet a good hurdler in Irv Gilson, who won the N.E.A.A.U. championship Wednesday night in Providence. Sprinters Ed Curtin and John Daly are on the mediocre side and Bill Hahn runs a mile in about 4:45. With luck, the Crusaders may take four or five points of a possible 109.

The remainder of the winter track season includes a meet with Dartmouth next month and participation in the IC4A in New York late in February.