Press Mixup Clouded Bingham Case

By D. H. F.

Much of the confusion shrouding the resignation of Director of Athletics William J. Bingham '16 lifted yesterday, when it was disclosed that the resignation had been effected as early as January 8 and that only a premature news release last week obscured the circumstances of the event.

Although Bingham himself was unavailable for comment all weekend long, it is known that on January 8 he told President Conant that he was now willing to turn over his Athletic Association post to a younger man and accept appointment as a high-level adviser to the H.A.A. Bingham had 25 years of experience dealing with numerous Harvard athletic problems.

The resignation was later confirmed in an exchange of letters and was finally approved by the Corporation a week ago today. If Bingham was "surprised" at the news of his resignation, it was only because the date of the official announcement came 24 hours ahead of schedule.

When the Boston Globe reportedly astounded Bingham Thursday with the news of his resignation, the surprise had more to do with the news than the resignation. Newspaper pressure had forced the earlier announcement, but Bingham had been unaware of the advance in plans.

Bingham never wanted to quit in the middle of a job a it is understood that he only reluctantly agreed to leave the Directorship of Athletics at this time. But it is not unusual for the University to replace administrators who have served for a long time with younger men more fitted to meet now problems.