Council Body Plans New Student Project Abroad

Will Ask $50,000 for Seminars In 3 Areas to Aid Students' Interchange of Information

The International Activities Committee of the Student Council will sponsor a large scale student mutual assistance program abroad if it can obtain the necessary funds, it was announced yesterday.

Five representatives of the Committee will confer with the co-chairmen of the Humanities division of a New York educational foundation today to request over $50,000 for overseas seminars in Frankfort, Germany, in Cyprus, and in southeast Asia.

The seminars will spread information about student life in the United States to help foreign students. They are part of a program which resulted from a 19 nation student conference in Stockholm last December. Possibilities for technical cooperation and for further study of student organizations will be on the seminar agendas.

New Organization

The Council recently formed the International Student Information Service to handle the project under mandate from the National Student Association following the Stockholm conference. This conference met after a split in the International Union of Students. The latter group, which has offices in Prague, was found to be Communist dominated.

Those going to New York today are: Francis D. Fisher 3L, James P. Grant 3L, William R. Polk '51, Carl M. Sapers '53, chairman of the committee, and Robert L. Fischelis '49, Graduate Secretary of Phillips Brooks House.