Hockey Team Falls, 6-1

Losing Streak Reaches 4

By Hiller B. Zobel

Boston University won a hockey game at the Arena last night, pretty much as expected. The Terriers whipped the varsity, 6 to 1, and Jack Garrity, B.U.'s high-scoring center, added three goals and an assist to his already high total.

But despite the one-sided score, and Harvard's growing losing streak--which hit four last night. Crimson followers are entitled to more hope than the gloomy statistics might indicate.

For one thing, Cooney Weiland's team, visibly tired, kept the pressure up for most of the evening. This was especially true in the last period, when the outcome was fairly well decided.

Defenseman Dusty Burke, for example, was on the ice more than 55 minutes. Yet even at the end he retained enough drive and spirit to skate down with the rushes and throw an uninterrupted series of rattling body checks.

With Bill Bliss out, Weiland had to juggle his defense considerably, leaving his best man, Burke, in almost all the time. John White, normally a forward, shifted to the backline and turned in a good job at his new post. Harry Sedgwick, who alternated with White, played a fine, hard game.

It was a bruising contest, anyhow, with hard checking and soft ice--a result of the unseasonably warm weather--causing an exceptional number of falls.

Although the Crimson's passing showed improvement, neither of the two lines could do much about putting the puck in the not. Weiland tried a couple of switches in the attack, putting Bob DiBlasio with Amory Hubbard and Walt Greeley on one combination, and moving Joe Kittredge to left wing on the other.

DiBlasio got the only Crimson goal just before the second period ended, taking a short pass from Hubbard and Greeley and slamming in a hard drive.

Harvard (1): Corning, g; Burke, ld; White, rd; Kittredge, lw; Preston (C), c; Marshall, rw.

B.U. (6): Bradley, g; Foline, ld; Czarnota, rd; J. Kelley, lw; Cahoon (C), c; Downing, rw.

First period: Garrity (B.U.) (unassisted), 3:59.

Second period: Garrity (B.U.) (unassisted), 10:10 J. Kelley (B.U.) (Garrity), 15:22. Garrity (B.U.) (R. Kelley), 2:23. Folino (B.U.) (Martin), 17:36. DiBlasio (Greeley, Hubbard), 17:53.

Third period: R. Kelley (B.U.) (Cahoon, Czarnota), 14:51.