Faculty Body Meets Today To Discuss ROTC Increase

A faculty committee, including military professors, has been formed to investigate the possibility of expanding the Reserve Officers Training Corps program at the College. It will held its first meeting this morning.

The committee consists of Dean Bender, Dean Leighton, Dean Watson, Colonel Charles P. Summerall, Jr., professor of Military Science and Tactics, and Major Jarvis R. Kingston, professor of Air Science and Tactics.

The College is not going to push for any large scale expansion of R.O.T.C. here. Bender said yesterday, until the situation in Washington is clearer. He added that the Defense Department has not yet made clear its final deferment policy towards R.O.T.C. units throughout the nation, and the draft status of college students has not been clarified in Congress.

Students Didn't Care

Bender also pointed out that while it might be fine to have a larger Army unit here, it was lack of student interest in the program before Korea that geared the Army unit to its present staff.

Apparently, Bender stated, men aren't deciding against coming to Harvard because Harvard has a smaller R.O.T.C. unit than many other colleges. In fact, he said, there are more applications in now than there were at this time last year.

Council Involved

The recent Student Council report to the Administration on R.O.T.C. at Harvard has recommended a small immediate additional enrollment in Army R.O.T.C. (as far as existing facilities permit, and made up of second term freshmen and sophomores). It also asked an eventual, long-range expansion to allow room for every qualified student who wishes to enter an R.O.T.C. program here.

The Army Unit has already taken action, permitting 50 second term freshmen to enroll in their program.