Lowell, Eliot Men Will Aid Blood Testing

600 to Be Asked to Volunteer For Typing as Doctors Seek Verification of New Method

Approximately 600 Lowell and Eliot House men will be asked on Monday to aid in testing a new mass blood-typing technique which is being prepared for the Massachusetts Civilian Defense Program. The testing itself will be conducted Tuesday from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at Lowell aid from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. at Eliot in the respective junior common rooms.

Doctors Louis K. Diamond '23 and Fred H. Allen of the Children's Medical Center are developing the method, which thus far has proved successful in short-run tests. They hope to type at least 560 men Tuesday to verify their work on a mass scale.

Donor List

If the new technique meets standards, civilian defense officials will use it to type the entire Cambridge community in the near future. The purpose will be to compile a list of potential donors in the event of a disaster in this area. Men who are typed on Tuesday will not have to be tested later on.

The taking of blood and the typing will require only a few minutes, with test officials hoping to process men at the rate of 70 an hour. Each man will receive a card on the spot, showing his blood type (one of four major blood groups plus his Rh factor status). Later the accuracy of the method will be determined in laboratory tests by Dr. Diamond.