Track Team Seen Underdog at Yale

By Edward J. Coughlin

They're getting to be an annual brick wall.

In every recent season Bob Giegengack's power and depth-laden runners, jumpers, and weight throwers from Yale have brought Crimson success streaks to a screeching standstill. This year Jaakko Mikkolo has produced one of the top Harvard squads in some time, and yet it will be surprising if the Elis fail to run up a rough 70 of a possible 109 points this afternoon in New Haven.

This may be Yale's last year as the outstanding eastern track power, since neither the present nor the last Blue freshman squad drew raves and Giegen- gack has a predominantly senior team. But even with Jim Fuchs, Vic Frank, George Wade, and Hank Stoltman lost through graduation, last year's lesser Elis have parlayed their collective skills into a series of wins and some outstanding times, heights, and distances.

Ronnie Berman, in the 600, is the only Crimson competitor who can be relatively certain of a win, but Eli Rollie Sultze can press Berman if he duplicates the 1:13.9 winning time he recorded against Brown. Dick MacDougal of Yale can beat Ed Grutzner for third. Harvard's Bill Geick also has a chance to beat Tod Lewis in the broad jump, with Bob Mello third. Giegengack has a fine sophomore hurdler in Sid Williams, but he may not be able to defeat both Charlie Durakis and Bob Twitchell.

Harvard high jump record holder Dick Barwise will have trouble with Yale's jumping Hipples, George and John, with the former the probable winner. The Crimson mile relayers have taken two out of three races from the Blue this season, and have turned in better times. But the high-hope-stretching snaps at about this point. The rest of the wins should go to the Yalies.

Eli vaulter George Appel has cleared 14 feet recently. Teammate Neil King is in a class with Harvard's Bob Mello, but Mello has not fared too well in recent competition. Dave Cairns will have to outdo himself to top Yale's Frank Efinger in the mile and Elis Ed Mearns and George Dole figure to lead Dave Gregory in the two-mile. The Blue two-mile relayers also should not have to strain themselves.

The Crimson will have a hard time with the weights, since shot-putter Bob Spears and weight-thrower Spence Cone are still granting and heaving for the Elis